Longueuil's history dates back to the very early years of New France. Some of Longueuil's boroughs possess historical and heritage sites that were among the first settlements on this side of the St. Lawrence. Vieux-Longueuil's heritage and Saint-Hubert's Chemin de Chambly area reflect the culture and customs of the people who built New France. Many of their monuments, sculptures and buildings reflect Longueuil's past.
Longueuil's heritage site
Vieux-Longueuil borough's heritage site is rightfully recognized as an area of primary importance for its emblematic and identifying value. This area, which corresponds to the original seigneurial estate, stands out for its remarkable architectural and archaeological heritage. This heritage includes the Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue cocathedral, a major monument dating back to 1885, and the Longueuil Convent where Marie-Rose Durocher founded her community.
To learn more about Longueuil's history, its built and religious heritage, you are cordially invited to take one of the guided tours offered by the Société d'histoire de Longueuil and the Société historique et culturelle du Marigot. For more information, please call one of the above historical societies.
Vieux Métiers de Longueuil - Summer Workshops
The summer workshops held by the Vieux Métiers de Longueuil are the culmination of a dream: conveying traditional crafts that are sometimes neglected or forgotten but always deeply seated in our memory, and which only need a helping hand to reveal our roots and our heritage!
The summer program includes approximately 30 workshops in 20 or so disciplines. The schedule is very flexible — weekdays, mornings, afternoons, evenings and even weekends — and designed for all types of customers: men, women and children of all ages and backgrounds.
Most of the workshops are held from June to August, mainly at the Centre culturel Jacques-Ferron.
Located in the heart of Vieux-Longueuil, the Marie-Rose Centre offers a guided tour of the very site where Mother Marie-Rose founded her congregation. Among other highlights, visitors discover the Longueuil convent with its chapel, its museum focused on its founder, and the many objects that were part of her daily life.
Marie-Rose Chapel, which houses the remains of Mother Marie-Rose Durocher, is located in the right transept of the Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue cocathedral. This place invites praise and thanksgiving for this extraordinary woman's contribution to the Church and to society. In 1843, she founded the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, dedicated to teaching through animation and psychospiritual guidance.
Centre Marie-Rose can be visited free of charge. See the chapelle Marie-Rose Website.
The Sainte-Antoine-de-Padoue cocathedral, located at the intersection of Saint-Charles and Chemin de Chambly. See the Website of the Sainte-Antoine-de-Padoue cocathedral.
The establishment of the Seigneurie de Longueuil, with its initial village, is a well-known area both for its archaeological and historical value. The high concentration of old buildings in village cores and the vigour of the local historical societies led to the discovery of numerous archaeological sites. This in turn awakened considerable interest in Longueuil's history and heritage, prompting further research and archaeologica digs. Longueuil's soil still has a lot of surprises to yield!
Website of the Société d'histoire de Longueuil
Several sites are also associated with local farmsteads. These include the site of Captain Vincent's home in the borough of Saint-Hubert (BjFi-11), located on Chemin de Chambly, and initially part of the Parish of Longueuil.